Saturday 7 October 2017

Rehab:- Going well so far

Yesterday, I had a physiotherapy appointment for my ankle. This is for ligaments that I have partially torn in my non-operated leg from where I have had to over compensate for such a long time. Mind you I was managing this really well until I had to increase my driving on a daily basis... This was not an option I had much control over. Initially I was angry that I had injured my body further as I have been so careful. I have carried on with all exercises that I have been given despite the 1:1 treatment sessions ending. I wanted to build up muscles in both legs so I had the best possible advantage of recovering from surgery as possible.

Anyway, I met with a new physiotherapist who is just as nice as all the other therapists I have met along my way of 'getting fixed'. I give the long history again about my legs.... ACL deficient, cartilage missing on my left knee, ligaments torn in left ankle (This is what is being treated today)... Right knee:- recent surgery to reconstruct the ACL, stem cells grafts x 2... Oh and  a Grade 4 stress fracture to the tibia. How is your health? Believe it or not... It is really good. Feeling great and really positive. Can't wait to get back to playing sport etc hence why I want to make sure the left ankle is strengthen now so that I do not end up over compensating on my operated leg. At the moment, the crutches are helping with both sides of my body.. taking the load off both my knees and ankle.

The task of personalising my physio exercises isn't straight forward as Emma (Physiotherapist) has to consider the protocol stages for the stem cells and ACL reconstruction as I am not fully weigh-bearing. The examination of the ankle was thorough. The pain levels in my ankle have decreased from the original 10 to a 2. This is massive progress and I am really pleased. My main concern is that I want to ensure that I strengthen the structure around my ankle to prevent the ligaments from tearing further.

I have been given 5 simple exercises that I need to complete on a daily basis. This will be added to my other exercises that I have to do for my knee. I have always completed my physio exercises and always ask if they are just a minimum and can I complete more if my leg is OK and pain-free. Some days I complete more and others I just stick to the plan as I listen to what my body is telling me.

Progress:- Today, I know it is such a simple task but I managed to sit in the front passenger side of the car. My knee is bending enough for me to get into the front. This was a struggle but WAHOOOO I got there in the end. However, after the struggle of getting in... I opted to have a little rest and then move into the back of the car with my leg up. I was worried that if my mum had to break suddenly my knee would really hurt and I may cause further damage to it or my ankle as it does not bend enough to sit comfortably in the car just yet. But, you know what? It doesn't matter as I look back as to what I could do last week and it's not as much as this week!

I also re-focused about losing weight and how to keep it off last week. This is something that has gone amazingly well this week, although I have no idea as to how much I will lose as I wasn't able to weigh myself... as when I did I was 4 stone lighter... bonus....Shame this was because that 4 stone was going through my crutches! Usually I see things as a challenge and once I have reached it... old habits tend to slip back in. So this time, rather than seeing the weight-loss as a challenge I have looked at the motivation as to why I want to lose weight..... all will be revealed soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment