Wednesday 23 March 2011

Trip Down Memory Lane


Today I said ‘Goodbye’ to my childhood hero…. Ron Gawler…. What a true English Gent, Incredible Champ and Legend he was.  I had the utmost respect for Ron as he taught me so much in my younger days of playing squash both on and off the court. I remember two very valuable lessons from him about winning gracefully and also losing in a good sportsman spirit. Ron spent hours with me throughout my time at Canterbury Squash Club chatting and encouraging me to play… and also helping me with my homework so I could get in an extra game of squash! I also remember him telling me off and I was mortified… I had to play Ron in one of the club tournaments… here I was playing my hero and I was beating him but I didn’t want to win as I respected this guy way too much….. I started to drop the ball into the tin and serve out of court…. I lost a game to him…..  Ron followed me out of the court and gave me one of those ‘chats’ about winning gracefully without humiliating your opponent. I knew this meant that I had to beat him but I so didn’t want to…. Just cos I beat Ron didn’t stop him from being my hero but I was so worried that this would happen. Ron was an amazing all round person and sports champ…. He was a Professional Footballer, awesome runner… completed 50 marathons  20 years competing in the Snowdonia Mountain Race and only took up running at 51…  Squash player…. Was outstanding…. Club Champ and won 10 veteran’s national titles. I was well proud to know that he even managed to get half way up Snowdon on crutches at the age of 72.
Even in his death he will still continue to inspire me to achieve and win gracefully.
I maybe out of the marathon this year but next year I shall complete it and think of him as I cross that finishing line.
I was so glad I was on crutches though today as there were so many people saying their goodbyes to Ron…. Not everyone could fit in… but some kind man gave up his seat. It was so nice to see so many familiar faces too. It was great to remember Ron for his achievements and I was so proud that he was and always will be my childhood hero as he never got knocked off the pedestal that I placed him on. Not many people get placed on the pedestal but Ron was definitely a person that was worthy to be on it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment